GameDeals is a community focused on the sharing and discussion of game deals. It's a resource for gamers, and one we encourage you to make use of.
We do have some rules to ensure the deals posted here are safe, organized, and relevant to our community. Ultimately it's impossible to have a rule for all edge cases, and at the end of the day moderators will have final say. That said, our interest is in having happy community members, and maintaining a high-quality subreddit that remains friendly and useful for all. Please feel free to contact us via modmail if you feel your post was unfairly removed and we'd be happy to discuss it with you.
1. Be Kind
First and foremost, GameDeals is a welcoming community. We're all here with the same goal of saving money on games, and we'd like to maintain a positive atmosphere while doing so.
Disagreements on the internet are bound to happen, but in these cases we ask that readers still treat each other with respect. The reddiquette is a set of guidelines which are enforced in our community, and we ask that you read them before contributing. Avoid leaving inflammatory comments, don't brigade or spoil content for others, and at the end of the day try to remember the human.
GameDeals allows many types of deals, but over time we've needed to prohibit certain categories:
- Unavailable: Deals must be live at the time of submission. If a deal is not yet available, please wait until it is or share to /r/GameDealsMeta instead.
- Mobile: While certainly still "game deals", mobile games have been split off into other subreddits as a result of their popularity. For iOS please see /r/AppHookup, and for Android please see /r/GooglePlayDeals or /r/AndroidGaming.
- Crowdfunding: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding campaigns are currently disallowed. These deals may be cheaper than the finished product, but these posts are often promotional and without guarantee.
- Betas, trials, free-to-play: To discourage dilution of deals, we ask that trials, betas, and similar deals not be posted. While DLC or other game content is acceptable, "MMO currencies" and similar would not be.
- Lootbox Bundles: Mystery packs of one or more uniquely randomized games. These are removed as they do not represent a known value and are designed to encourage repeated purchases.
- Freeware: While free games are great, our focus remains on ephemeral deals. Always-free games are better suited to /r/FreeGameFindings or /r/FreeGames. Deals which can be claimed permanently may be posted, as well as popular titles which have recently gone free.
- Low Quantity: Deals should have enough stock that they don't run out in the first ten minutes. There isn't a hard number here, but having enough for 1% of our subscriber count is a good rule of thumb.
- Software: Just because a software product is on Steam, does not make it a game deal. Our focus remains on games, even if the software is game-related (eg. development software).
- Some Subscription Deals: Subscription services are permitted if they include a discount on the service (eg. $5 off PS+), or include additional content with a service (eg. free games included with PS+). Content should be substantive. Games, DLC, or in-game items are allowed, while cosmetics or "trivial" in-game content may be removed. For everything else, please use /r/GameDealsMeta.
- Certain Hardware: We allow gaming electronics, which includes items like consoles, controllers, and other gaming peripherals. Remember the focus is game deals. Submissions like mouse pads probably fit better elsewhere.
- Hyper-Local: Deals that are only specific to a very small number of people should not be posted. If you believe a deal has higher availability but is still offline, please post a a flier, receipt, or detailed description with your post.
- Piracy: It should go without saying, but piracy as a submission or in the comments is strictly prohibited.
If a deal may be considered "grey-area", please contact the moderators before posting.
3. Title Format
GameDeals uses a standard title format for submitting deals. Deals should include a store name, the product(s), and discount percentage. Including the actual cost is fine too, but specify a currency sign in these cases.
The template is as follows:
[Store Name] Deal Information (Price/percent off)
A full example might be:
[Humble Store] Psychonauts ($1.99/80% off)
- Please do not editorialize titles. Titles with overly promotional language will be removed, as will those with all caps, exclamation points, and personal comments.
- Critical information should be included in the title where possible. This includes bundle tiers, franchise deals, and free weekends.
- Please do not include comments like "Historical low". While well-meaning, these comments are unfortunately often incorrect, and end up derailing discussion instead of helping.
- For large sales events, there will be too many games to list. Please include some highlight games in the title that you or others may be interested in. More can be posted in the comments, or by using a self-post.
Above all, spend a few minutes on your title to be make sure it's accurate. Being first is not the most important thing in GameDeals, and submissions will be removed or replaced if they contain inaccurate or missing details.
Unauthorized resellers are sites which resell game keys without authorization from the publisher, acting as grey markets. While grey markets are not illegal, GameDeals still prohibits websites that engage in unauthorized reselling.
This is because the sources of these keys cannot be verified, and they may be from other regions or more dubious sources. These keys can contain region locks, and in some cases have been removed from accounts retroactively. At the end of the day, we want to ensure 100% safety of any site that's posted to GameDeals.
For more information on resellers, please review our PSA on the topic: Key Resellers and what they mean for you. We also have a store lookup site to view authorised stores and check for unauthorised stores. If you have more questions, please message the moderators and we'll be happy to help you out.
Affiliate (or referral) links are special URLs which reward somebody when others click on those links. While we understand that submitters should be rewarded for finding a great deal, this introduces an incentive for posting spammy deals which quickly brings down the quality of the subreddit. Affiliate links or "buddy codes" are strictly prohibited for this reason.
We do however allow and encourage the use of charity affiliates, which have been vetted and are listed in the sidebar. For more information on affiliate links, please see our Wiki page on the subject.
There's two main reasons why we disallow buying, selling, and trading in the comments. The first is that we don't want to see the comments section turn into a marketplace. Right now we have a lot of great conversation on which games are worth it, which are skippable, and where better deals may be found. That gets quickly overtaken by "selling X for Y", and a lot of that conversation gets drowned out.
The other reason is simply that we don't have a trust system in place. Other subreddits like /r/SteamGameSwap or /r/IndieGameSwap do. You can see how many successful trades people have done, and who is and isn't trustworthy. Instead of reinventing the wheel, we ask people to use these subreddits for trading, or optionally /r/GameSell or /r/GameSwap.
Asking others for games, or "soft begging" by hinting is also disallowed.
GameDeals allows giveaways, but there are restrictions. Giveaways should not be chance-based nor overly-promotional. Readers should have a real opportunity to benefit from a giveaway, and should not unwittingly end up on a mailing list or accidentally spamming their friends as a result. If a moderator deems a giveaway as exploitative, it will be removed. Consider dedicated giveaway subs like /r/eFreebies instead in these cases.
Personal giveaways (eg. a reader giving away a specific game) are allowed, but only in the comments for the relevant deal. For instance on a Humble Bundle post, an individual key can be shared in the comments of that specific deal. In most cases, bundle posts will have an automatic comment left by AutoModerator specifically for these giveaways. If there is not an appropriate thread, consider dedicated subs like /r/PlayItForward, /r/GiftOfGames, or /r/RandomActsOfGaming.
8. Direct Links
Whenever possible, deals should link directly to the game on sale. Links to blogspam, coupon sites, social media posts, or URL shorteners will be removed.
If more information about a deal is needed, please use a self-post to provide additional details.
If you are a developer or publisher, we do allow some self-promotion of your deals. However, there are a few rules you need to follow.
- Leave a comment disclosing your status/relationship to the game on your submission. Some examples of good disclosure comments are as follows:   
- Full transparency is a hard requirement in /r/GameDeals. If we determine that you're shilling it will likely result in a ban of yourself or even your game from this community.
- Include a brief description of the game, such as its genres, type of gameplay, brief plot blurb, etc.
- Stick around to answer any questions from readers. "Hit-and-run" posts are not well received and we may restrict your posts in future if this happens.
If a comment hasn't been left within a reasonable period of time (10-15 minutes), your post will be removed.
If you have multiple games on sale, please do not post them separately. Combine them into one post - either as a self-post with individual links or a search/landing page that contains them all. In addition, do not cycle your sales to achieve more visibility on /r/GameDeals. This appears spammy and we would recommend that one or two posts per month is best.
We require any store owner who wishes to promote their site to disclose themselves to moderators first before posting. More information can be obtained on the dedicated rep rules wiki.
11. Reddit Bots
In an effort to prevent the robot uprising - and to prevent clutter - GameDeals shall be a human-only zone with few exceptions. We appreciate those that want to contribute bots to GameDeals, but we find that too much can take away from the natural discussion that takes place. As such, please disable your bots from running in /r/GameDeals. For "RemindMe" posts, use the save button or send the bot a PM as these comments will not be published.
- Before submitting, please check for reposts. Search for the game by name, or by browsing through the first few pages of results. Sort by "new" for best results. While reddit search is imperfect, you can use Ctrl+F to search for relevant keywords in your title.
- Reddit allows you to submit a link or text post, but not both. Use link posts for specific deals, and text posts for multiple deals, or those which require additional information.
- Do not delete deal submissions. This removes all history of comments relating to that deal, which makes the subreddit less useful for others. Chronic post deleting may exclude you from posting future deals.
- If a deal is site-wide (such as a large sale event or coupon code), please post the full sale information directly instead of linking to a specific game. This will help prevent reposts. Developers are granted an exception to this, and may post their games if they observe rule 9 above.